Performance and Portfolio Update
- The Pax Core Bond Fund outperformed the Bloomberg Barclays U.S. Aggregate Index in the quarter. The main driver of outperformance was security selection within the corporate bond sector. The Fund is positioned more conservatively with less sensitivity to changes in corporate bond spreads, which helped relative performance as credit markets weakened.
- Security selection within Treasury securities and taxable municipal bonds hurt relative performance. In general, these sectors have greater interest rate sensitivity than the benchmark and underperformed as rates increased.
- The Fund continues to be positioned with a focus on high quality, which helped during the quarter as corporate spreads widened. We maintain the view that the risks to the credit market – including rising rates, tariffs, and late credit cycle dynamics – outweigh positive momentum in the economy. As such, we have conservatively positioned the Fund’s corporate bond allocation.
- Over the period, we added non-agency mortgage backed securities and asset-backed-securities (ABS) to the portfolio. These spread products are one area of the fixed income market where we are still finding value.
- During the quarter, we continued to add to a number of impact holdings, including a Tesla auto green bond and a Solar City securitized bond. Our impact holdings now stand at 15.9%.
Performance(as of 3/31/18)
|1-Month||Quarter||YTD||1 Year||3 Year||5 Year||10 Year||Since Inception1|
|Core Bond Fund - Individual Investor Class||0.61||-1.45||-1.45||0.36||-||-||-||1.52|
|Core Bond Fund - Institutional Class||0.63||-1.39||-1.39||0.61||-||-||-||1.79|
|Bloomberg Barclays US Aggregate Index||0.64||-1.46||-1.46||1.20||-||-||-||2.46|
|Lipper Core Bond Funds Index||0.47||-1.46||-1.46||1.34||-||-||-||2.67|
Performance data quoted represent past performance, which does not guarantee future results. Investment return and principal value of an investment will fluctuate so that an investor’s shares, when redeemed, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Current performance may be lower or higher than the performance data quoted. For most recent month-end performance information call 800.767.1729 or visit paxworld.wpengine.com
Figures include reinvested dividends, capital gains distributions, and changes in principal value.
1The inception date for the Pax Core Bond Fund Institutional Class and Individual Investor Class is December 16, 2016.
As of 5/1/17 prospectus, total annual Core Bond Fund operating expenses, gross of any fee waivers or reimbursements (excluding Acquired Fund fees and expenses), for Individual Investor Class and Institutional Class shares are 0.74% and 0.49%, respectively.
(as of 3/31/18)
Sector: Average Active Weights (%)
|Total Relative Contribution (%)|
XOther: ETFs (for short-term cash mgmt. purposes) and Cash & Equivalents.
Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
Portfolio Characteristics(as of 3/31/18)
|Years to Maturity∼||12.68||12.95|
|30 Day SEC Yield∘|
Top Ten Holdings
(as of 3/31/18)
United States Treasury Note, 2.625%, 2/28/23 5.4%, United States Treasury Note, 2.375%, 08/15/24 5.1%, United States Treasury Note, 3.000%, 2/15/48 5.1%, United States Treasury Note, 2.375%, 3/15/21 3.2%, United States Treasury Note, 2.125%, 11/30/23 2.1%, United States Treasury Note, 1.375%, 1/15/20 1.7%, United States Treasury Note, 4.500%, 02/15/36 1.6%, United States Treasury Note, 0.375%, 7/15/27 1.4%, United States Treasury Note, 2.750%, 2/15/28 1.2% and United States Treasury Note, 2.125%, 3/31/24 1.1%. Holdings are subject to change.
ƒEffective Duration is a measure of a security’s price sensitivity to changes in interest rates. Securities with longer durations are more sensitive
to changes in interest rates than securities of shorter durations.
~Years to Maturity (weighted average) is the number of years until the bond matures and/or expires.
°30 Day SEC Yield: An annualized yield based on the most recent 30 day period.
The statements and opinions expressed are those of the author as of the date of this report. All information is historical and not indicative of future results and subject to change. This information is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Past performance does not guarantee future results.