Performance and Portfolio Update
- The Fund underperformed the benchmark Russell 1000 Index in the first quarter. The main drivers of the return difference were the style factors used in the strategy construction which lagged substantially in the strong equity market rally.
- The tilt toward companies with higher dividend yield had a small positive impact on returns.
- The tilt toward dividend sustainability factors detracted from relative performance.Particularly, the Fund’s exposure to companies with higher profitability hurt relative performance. Exposure to companies with higher earnings quality weighed on relative results as well.
- Weighting the portfolio toward companies with stronger ESG characteristics is one of the five factors used in this smart beta strategy, which is designed to deliver strong long-term investment performance. On a short-term basis, however, ESG and other factors can negatively affect returns. During the quarter, companies with weaker ESG profiles, particularly those in the bottom quartile as measured by the Impax Sustainability Score, outperformed companies with stronger ESG profiles. The Fund’s underweight to these ESG laggards, which performed well in the high beta first quarter rally, detracted from relative performance.
- Industry exposures, which are driven by the factor and ESG tilts, did not materially contribute to relative returns for the quarter.
Performance(as of 3/31/19)
|Returns (%)||Average Annual Returns (%)|
|1-Month||Quarter||YTD||1 Year||3 Year||5 Year||10 Year||Since Inception1|
|ESG Beta Dividend Fund - Investor Class||1.79||12.41||12.41||9.58||-||-||-||11.13|
|ESG Beta Dividend Fund - Institutional Class||1.87||12.48||12.48||9.87||-||-||-||11.43|
|Russell 1000 Index||1.74||14.00||14.00||9.30||-||-||-||12.59|
|Lipper Equity Income Funds Index||1.12||11.50||11.50||6.94||-||-||-||8.55|
Performance data quoted represent past performance, which does not guarantee future results. Investment return and principal value of an investment will fluctuate so that an investor’s shares, when redeemed, may be worth more or less than their original cost. Current performance may be lower or higher than the performance data quoted. To obtain performance for the most recent month-end, call 800.767.1729 or visit paxstaging.wpengine.com
Figures include reinvested dividends, capital gains distributions and changes in principal value.
1The inception date for the Pax ESG Beta Dividend Fund Institutional Class and the Investor Class is December 16, 2016.ˆ
Total annual Pax ESG Beta Dividend Fund operating expenses, gross of any fee waivers or reimbursements, for Investor Class and Institutional Class shares are 0.90% and 0.65%, respectively, as of 5/1/2018 prospectus.ˆ
(as of 3/31/19)
|Total Relative Factor
Past performance is no guarantee of future results.
2Dividend Yield – Purpose: Captures differences in stock returns attributable to stock’s historical and predicted dividend-to-price ratios.
Descriptors: Dividend-to-Price, Predicted Dividend-to-Price
Portfolio Characteristics(as of 3/31/19)
|Market Cap (weighted avg.)∱||$189,921M||$209,282M|
|Number of Securities||162||977|
Top 10 Holdings
(as of 3/31/19)
Microsoft Corp. 3.3%, Amazon.com, Inc. 3.0%, Cisco Systems, Inc. 3.0%, Apple, Inc. 3.0%, Johnson & Johnson 2.9%, 3M Co. 2.4%, Texas Instruments, Inc. 2.3%, PepsiCo, Inc. 2.0%, Home Depot, Inc., The 1.9% and Verizon Communications, Inc. 1.8%. Holdings are subject to change.
xThe Impax Sustainability Score is a proprietary ranking of companies’ environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance developed by Impax’s Sustainability Research Team. The scoring framework is shaped by the team’s collective experience and insights on how sustainability impacts financial performance. Learn more about the Impax Sustainability Score here.
ƒWeighted Average is an average in which each quantity to be averaged is assigned a weight. These weightings determine the relative importance of each quantity on the average.
~Forward Price-Earnings Ratio or P/E FY1 ratio is a ratio for valuing a company that measures its current share price relative to its per-share earnings over the next 12 months.
∘ Return on Equity: The amount of net income returned as a percentage of shareholders’ equity. Return on equity measures a corporations’ profitability by revealing how much profit a company generates with the money shareholders have invested.
∞An Ex-Ante Beta is used for Funds with less than two years of performance history under its new mandate. The Ex-Ante Beta is calculated using a multi-factor risk model. Beta explains common variations in stock returns due to different stock sensitivities to the market relative to its underlying benchmark for the current period, not historical. A beta for a benchmark is 1.00: A beta greater than 1.00 indicates above-average volatility and risk.
The statements and opinions expressed are those of the authors as of the date of this report. All information is historical and not indicative of future results and subject to change. This information is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Past performance does not guarantee future results.