Companies are rated by Impax Gender Analytics based on multiple criteria of gender leadership, including:
- representation of women on the board of directors
- representation of women in executive management
- hiring, promotion, retention of women
- gender pay equity
- proactive gender goals and targets and/or signatory to the Women’s Empowerment Principles2
- transparency about gender diversity data
These factors are given different weights, with representation by women on boards and in management receiving the highest weights.
The Index comprises companies that also meet certain environmental, social and governance (ESG) or sustainability standards, as rated by MSCI ESG Research, and excludes weapons and tobacco companies. MSCI ESG Research provides in-depth research, ratings and analysis of the ESG-related business practices of thousands of companies worldwide.
The 400 plus companies that emerge from this research and selection process are, in our view, the best companies in the world when it comes to advancing gender diversity and empowering women in the workplace.
Learn more about the index methodology.
Current holdings for Impax Global Women’s Leadership Index.
1 One cannot invest directly in an index.
2 A joint initiative of the UN Global Compact and UN Women